Saturday, July 14, 2007

Chihuly at Phipps: Gardens & Glass

I got lost in a happy dream at The Phipps Conservatory on my last night in Pittsburgh. I'm so happy that Tacy and Nancy told me about the Chihuly at Phipps: Gardens & Glass exhibit. I didn't know who Dale Chihuly was before this trip (he just happens to be one of the world's greatest glass artists, known for his work around the globe like the famous ceiling at The Belagio in Las Vegas! Find out more at www.chihuly.com)... but I instantly fell in love with his amazing work.

This is what greeted me as I entered the Conservatory and looked up...

Seeing that I was alone, the kind tour guide offered to take my photo with the red-orange serpents...

The one-way pathway brought me outdoors where I saw this one-of-a-kind yellow fountain...

...and this huge tower of pretty pink ice cubes (with the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning in the background!).

The sun was fast setting (it must have been around 8:30 PM) and when I went back inside, they had switched on the lights, bringing an instant magical feel to the whole place (as if it wasn't magical enough!). This is the centerpiece of the exhibit...

...but this blue room (blue pieces softened by silvery plants) also took my breath away...

...as did the giant clam-shaped, swirly-and-splattered bowls below.

I went back to serpent room, now all lit up, to wave goodbye...

The exhibit runs until November 11, 2007 so if you're anywhere near Pittsburgh, you shouldn't miss this!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great photos!!! wish i was able to capture some when i went in columbus. love the lighting and colors. AMAZING art! (and yeah, ridiculously pricey too) - mia

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home